Thursday, April 26, 2007

The Beginning of What If Mode

Hello, this is the beginning of the project "What If Mode". Rather if it has been done, or not it is purely for the benefit of my gamedev team to see if we can come up with creative ideas, and turn them into video games. Before I explain to you what the Project of "What If Mode" some history must be known about "What If Mode".

It started as a special mode by my team leader who we call Jesus (we all have nicknames) that in our 3D game that we are continuously designing while in school, and won't start development until after school as a special mode that ask the simple question "What if this happens?" The idea, and possibilities of the game taking off in weird, quarky, funny directions are endless in "What If Mode". As we were discussing it; me, being the only programmer I just joked around asking the team "Do you know what a programmers headache is? It's when Jesus starts talking about his ideas for video games, because a programmer just has a baffled, some-what ridiculous look on their face asking; 'Are you insane'? "

Well, after much pondering about if What If Mode was possible I just simply told myself I would never know unless I tried it. Now, I'm not going to create a "What If Mode" mod for game like HL 2, in Source Engine, or Unreal 03 when it comes out using Script I'm simply going to make a 2D "What If Mode" game "mario style" just to see what it would take to make something that can be so random and so interactive with how you play the game, and is never the same after ran once.

So here I go wish me luck.

Thanks,

c.s. Finch

No comments: