Saturday, May 12, 2007

What Controller? What Controller?

I've decided to take in consideration on what Controller shall be used in the game, or what choices of what controllers should be in the game. I have come across the idea of implementing the Xbox360 controller since it has vibration in the game, and the Wiimote (Wii Remote) in the game since it has that 3Space motion sensor whatever they call it as support of movement.

I have done some research and found out that it is as easy as Using the XInput.h header included in the DirectX SDK (I have the February 07 build) in any project you're working on. And the methods used to utilize the Xbox360 are prettys straight forward.

I have also done some research and found out that there is a library called WiiYourself! which is a C++ library extension you can add to your project to utilize the Wiimote in any project. However, I haven't worked with the WiiYourself! library yet, for I have been trying to complete the Xbox360 controller input in my game first, and then work on the Wiimote, and do some more research for other controllers liek the 6 axis tilt PS3 controller. Both links can provide a good foundation on the files you'll need a good tutorial that I've been reading on how to use both libraries.



I must warn you that I have not tried the WiiYourself! library, but I do know that there are some limitations and very specific bluetooth technology that you have to either have, or specific bluetooth technologies that you can't use.
I hope this gives people some sorta of direction on how to utilize these 2 great controllers in their game. Both seem to be pretty straight forward.

In the upcoming blogs I will post some more examples of SAT, and examples of how to program the Xbox360 controller in your games once I have finished implementing it into my game. One of my demos will be having a SAT fast collision detection demo that uses the xbox360 for controller the objects in the environment.

Enjoy!

.